Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Review: XCOM Enemy Unknown

I wanted to take a minute to break from my usual X-box Minecraft obsession to talk about some of my other obsessions. Actually, there's just the one other obsession and I'm totally obsessed with it.

XCOM Enemy Unknown is a turn-based strategy game (TBS) in which you take control of a group of elite soldiers in order to do battle against an alien invasion of Earth. The game revolves around the upgrading of technology, application of stealth and position on the battlefield, and the management of resources -- namely your injured and dying soldiers.

XCOM:EU is a re-imagining of the original XCOM (also a TBS). What makes this version of the game awesome is the stellar graphics and gameplay.

This game is not without it's faults and while I encourage you to play the demo (available on XBL), I would caution you that the structured and restricted gameplay that you experience in the demo is a complete departure from the actual game. So in that way, the demo is a little misleading. But you'll get the idea.

The entire Internet is abuzz about this game and I totally back their ringing endorsement. If you have some downtime in between stronghold searching, load this one up and have a go. It will probably become your newest obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment